Thursday, April 9, 2009

Emma's Story

Our sunday morning started out just like any other sunday. Jonny and I woke up to our little girl Emma talking in her crib. As usual, daddy went and got her out of her bed to come hang out with us and eat her breakfast. She was her normal self just smiling and talking up a storm. After we fixed her bottle she drank a little, and then started playing with it (which was a recent habit she started). I changed her diaper, and checked out the bruise on her hip that appeared about three days earlier. We were still stumped about it, but was convinced it was some sort of a bug bite, and were told by doctors just to watch it. Everytime I change her diaper I check her whole body to make sure she is okay. Everything checked out fine. It wasn't five minutes later that Jonny was playing with her that he felt a bump on her chest. We undressed her again to find a pea sized bruise on her chest. Jonny knew something was wrong and immediately said we need to go to the ER. We both threw on some clothes, packed Emma's bag, and headed to Baptist Hospital.

We got there about 10 a.m. and were immediately checked out in triage. The nurse was not sure what it was, so sent us back to the doctor for him to check her out. Of course we had to wait a while for the doctor to come see us. The doctor said that this was unusual so he wanted to do a complete blood work-up. It took three nurses to hold Emma down to draw blood. They tried her arm, foot, and finally had to draw it from her head. I couldn't bear to watch, so my mother-in-law came in along with Jonny to get Emma through it. They left the IV in her head so that if they had to draw more blood it would be easier.

We waited nervously for the test results, but thought it would be some sort of minor blood disease that could be taken care of by 10 days of medication. As soon as I saw the doctor's face I knew he had bad news. My stomach dropped and my heart already ached. He said that he had bad news and that it was Leukemia. I heard the word Leukemia, and I lost all control. So many thoughts were running through my head. I couldn't believe that my sweet little Emma could have such a nasty disease. Why Emma? This happens to other people, not our family.

The doctor wanted to get us transferred to OU Children's hospital as soon as possible so they transported her by ambulance. We arrived to OU at about 1 p.m. and were anxiously waiting to talk to the oncologist. She finally came in about 8 p.m. that evening and said that Emma was diagnosed with Leukemia, but she was not sure what type and we wouldn't find out until the following afternoon. We couldn't stand all of the waiting, and just wanted to know what the game plan would be or if it was just a huge mistake.

The first night in the hospital was aweful. Jonny and I just couldn't believe that we were watching our little girl lie in a hospital bed with cancer! How could such a small and innocent child be so sick? I woke up the next morning not remembering where I was. Once I saw Emma lying right beside me, I remembered the nightmare I was in. I just started sobbing because I was hoping I would wake up and be home listening to Emma talk to herself in her crib. I thought to myself, right now I should be opening the doors and cleaning up the house for Beckham to come over. She usually woke up right after her arrived, and played with daddy until he had to go to work. She then joined Beckham and I in the living room, drank her bottle, and played in her jumpy seat while watching Praise Baby. She would sit there for a half an hour while Beckham ate his breakfast, and then we would all play until nap time.

She had a scheduled spinal tap on monday morning, and they were also going to put in a picc line so it would be easier for them to draw blood without having to stick her everytime. This was a pretty simple procedure, and she would be sedated so she wouldn't remember a thing. Jonny and I walked her down to the operation room, and just sobbed because it was the first time we left her in a stranger's hands. It was the first time that my baby had to have an operation, the first time I couldn't fix what was wrong. Mommy couldn't do anything to stop what was about to take over Emma's life for the next few years and maybe beyond.

The procedure only took about an hour, and they brought her right to us. She was really sleepy from the drugs, but they said she did beautifully. She was talking and smiling the entire time, and there were not complications. After we got back to the room, we had to wait again for the tests to come back to see what type of Leukemia she has. We were surrounded by family and frinds when the doctor came in and said that she has Cell B Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. We knew that ALL was the most common type of cancer, and the doctor's were very confident that we were going to beat this. They went over the game plan with the entire family so we could all ask questions.

Jonny and I felt a tiny bit better after hearing what we were going to do, but it was still in the back of our minds that we may lose our little girl. We decided that the only way we can get through this is to take it day by day. When we have a good day, I have decided to be in a good mood and be super positive about everything. When we are having a bad day (which we have not had yet) I have decided to do my best to be positive, and know that there are better days ahead.

Emma is responding so well to the treatment, and we have gotten great news everyday we have been here. Today is day 4 and she is doing great. She has lost her appetite, but she finally drank 5 oz of formula and ate 4 oz of applesauce. The doctor said that this medication will suppress her appetite, but with the steroids she is taking she should regain in no time.

Jonny and I are very optimistic and pray for a complete healing. We also ask that people pray specifically for a complete healing, no infections, and for a great report on monday from her bone marrow test. As I understand, we will be at the hospital for four weeks and then in and out for the next year. As long as Emma responds well to the treatment, the doctor believes that she has less chance of relapse and more of a chance to be a long term survivor.

We thank everyone so much for their prayers and support for Emma and our family. God has already performed so many miracles in Emma, and I believe that he is not even close to being finished.

8 comments:

  1. God is definitely not finished with the miracles in Emma... I just know there are many many more to come! We love her, and you two, so very much! We continue to pray every day that God can do amazing things with Emma and heal her completely!! She is one precious soul that is touching lives... and will continue to do so!
    We love you all... and our prayers, along with so many others, are being heard by our good Lord and Savior!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited to hear all of the great news about the miracles going on in Emma's life! What a blessing! Prayers are continuing for Emma in West Texas, as well as other parts of the country. What a wonderful Lord we serve! Jonny & Jessica, you are two precious parents and your precious baby girl is going to be healed! We love you guys - Cindy & Gerome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm a friend of Callie's and just wanted to let you know that I've been praying Emma and your family! So glad to hear the recent good news! Emma is pretty adorable, by the way : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I am a jeweler out in Western Oklahoma under Angie Hesser. Just want you to know that I am praying for Emma and you guys. Healing for your precious baby girl and strenth for you, as her parents, to get through each "event". (I can relate to not being able to watch while my child was being treated. I am a wimp!) I will pray that you can stay rested and thus better able to cope. God has a special plan and purpose for Emma and His love for her is far beyond your love for her. I know that is hard to imagine but just envision Him with her, never leaving her side, tenderly watching over her because that is exactly what He is doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, I'm so glad you posted a link to the blog on Facebook. I had no idea what you all are going through. I'll definitely keep Emma and your family in my prayers.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, this is so neat to do for Emma, and to keep everyone updated. It's so good to hear that things are going as well as they can during this process. I've seen some pictures that Steffanie posted and she looks as happy as you explained in the blog. I can completely understand why all the doctors and nurses are melting over her. We love you all!

    Keri, Dusty, and Brookelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dearest Jessica, Jonathan and Emma Grace:

    I am so thankful that you have Jonny for support. Grandpa and I love him so much!

    I am so thankful that Jonny has you for
    his support. And you know how special
    you are in our lives and always have been.

    I am so thankful that our great granddaughter
    has the greatest parents in the world.

    I am so thankful for your huge circle of family and friends. Their love, prayers and
    encouragement.

    Your family is in our constant thoughts and
    continuous prayer.

    Grandpa said to tell you that we are pulling for you and that God is going to complete the Miracle that he has started with Emma!!

    We got to visit with Derek today and your Dad,
    Grandpa Frank and Grandma Ruby. We went to
    Sterling for Easter Dinner at Grandma Esther's
    and stopped over to Grandma and Grandpa's.

    We wanted to stop by for sure for hugs and
    encouragement.

    Great Great Grandma Esther is praying non-stop.
    She has a carved wooden cross that she takes
    with her and sleeps with it and is praying for
    a complete healing for our precious girl and for you and Jonny too.

    We love you!

    Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessica,
    I'm not sure if you remember me, but I met you at a jewlery party at my mom, Glenda's house! I just want you to know that I think you are a very strong and patient person, those are two very good things to have. I can honestly say that if I were in your shoes I would not be as strong, or patient, or calm! I admire you for handling this whole situation the way you are!! I know this is very hard for you and Johnny to take in, but God works in mysterious ways and it is always for the better!! I am praying for you guys and sweet baby Emma. It just hurts my heart to think what she is going through and I pray that she is comforted through this time! I am sure you guys are going to be rewarded somehow for your good doings, and you of all people deserve it! Thank you for being a great mother and being strong for Emma, the world needs more moms like you!! Take care and I will be praying for your family daily!

    Johnnie, Jennifer, Madison, and Averie Mullins

    ReplyDelete